As an avatar formats & tools developer at LIV, you'll be working as an engineer on the team to develop, document, and maintain avatar creation workflows and support for our platform.
Your goal is to provide a complete avatar creation pipeline that meets the needs of our creators, so they can smoothly publish their work. Avatar creators use various pieces of 3d software to produce avatar assets, including Unity & Blender as core tools. To make the process of creating a VR-ready avatar easier, tools and plugins need to be built that simplify the process and remove as much manual work as possible, all while remaining flexible enough to not limit creativity. It is likely that LIV will contribute to, or publish its own format for VR avatars that support customisable materials, animations, blendshapes and other effects.
You should have a deep understanding of how 3d asset creation works, what the common pitfalls are, and knowledge about 3d asset file formats. You will also need excellent written communication skills as you will be creating documentation materials to support the work that you publish. LIV is invested in open standards and formats, so your work will be signposted front-and-center for all LIV avatar creators!
- Stay up-to-date on the latest developments in the world of VR avatars and asset creation workflows
- Create tools and plugins in tools such as Blender & Unity that make avatar creation simpler
- Design, develop and contribute to VR avatar file formats
- Create supporting documentation materials, including writing long-form documentation & recording video tutorials
- Work with other members of the LIV team to integrate your work robustly
What You Bring
- 3+ years of experience working in 3d asset creation, Blender particularly
- 1+ years of experience working with Unity
- Experience writing shaders
- Fluency with C# development & version control
- Comfort in navigating problems and opportunities autonomously and independently
- Strong writing & verbal communication skills
What LIV Brings
- Fully distributed company (work from (almost) anywhere in the world)
- Competitive salary and stock options
- A "take time when you need it" vacation policy
- Flexible working hours
- Mental wellness budget
- Professional development budget
- Virtual movie nights, gaming sessions, and other fun team events
- Ownership over your work and ability to make a strong impact at growing startup
- Company sponsored event trips (gaming conferences, Twitchcon etc)
What is it like working at LIV?
At LIV you can expect to work with a tight knit, collaborative team. Our goal is to continue to be, and grow, as the de facto platform for VR and AR content creation & consumption. We work hard, but make sure that we enjoy the ride and lead with a humans-first approach.
LIV is a leader in VR capture, streaming and VTubing solutions. Our rise to fame was mixed reality capture with the globally viral Beat Saber videos, and since 2016 we’ve been leading the charge in providing the technologies for the next generation of streamers and content creators.
By joining LIV, you’ll join a bleeding edge VR capture & streaming technology company in the world, backed by some of the biggest names in VR and AR and used by the biggest streamers and creators in the world, such as Shroud, Pewdiepie and LSToast.
About LIV and your team
- LIV is an exciting 13-person startup in the VR industry
- We’re freshly funded and are proud to have some of the best gaming and VR investors in the world
- This is an incredibly exciting time to be joining the company, with multiple big projects releasing in the coming months and fresh funding to execute
- You will be embedded on a product team, and you will meet your team members during the interview process
- The teams at LIV are diverse, and we're excited to add another team member that will bring their own unique perspective to everything we do
Talent Points that are particularly interesting to us:
- You have created, and maintain tools or plugins related to 3d asset creation or Unity asset management
- You have created file formats yourself and supporting tools for them, or worked on existing formats
- You spend time in VR and have created avatars for VRChat, NeosVR, LIV, or other VTubing solutions
- You have degrees in game animation, mathematics, or similar
How to apply
- Please use the form here to apply
- Though we'd like to, we're unable to respond to every applicant, so you'll only hear from us if we'd like to move forward with the interview process